CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Booking Through Thursday.......


Have you ever been a member of a book club? How did your group choose (or, if you haven’t been, what do you think is the best way to choose) the next book and who would lead discussion? No, I have never been a member of a traditional book club. I would think the best way to choose a book would be for each member to take a month to pick 3 titles they would like to read and then have the group vote on which of the 3 they would like to read most. Majority would rule on which book would be the next months title. :)

Do you feel more or less likely to appreciate books if you are obliged to read them for book groups rather than choosing them of your own free will? Does knowing they are going to be read as part of a group affect the reading experience? I like to pick what book I'm going to read next on a whim. Even if I know I am going to love a book, if I read it because I have to I just don't think I enjoy it as much. I encounter this when reading books for the games at PaperBackSwap. Which can be viewed the same if not a bit different than reading for a book club. As a matter of fact right now I am reading a book for a swap and it's a book I know I would love 100% more if I didn't feel the need to be reading it RIGHT NOW!!!! I do not read well under pressure!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is off subject, but I just wanted to say thanks for putting up a link to Writers Plot!

Anonymous said...

I've never been in a book club either. And I feel the same way about it as you. With the exception of ARCs (although I really do still have control over what I ask for), I like being the one to pick out my next book :)